Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Baby Cocoon

This is one of the first pieces I ever knitted, a baby cocoon for my baby girl, Lara.  Don't you just love the colours? This was yarn from Spotlight...before the days of me being aware that stores solely dedicated to selling wool actually existed.  It was my first time attempting circular needles and I quite enjoyed it!

Unfortunately I do not have a pattern for this cocoon as I actually used a combination of free patterns off the internet and tweaked it to my liking.  But if you really want it let me know and I can figure something out for you. :)  As you can see though, it is a simple stocking stitch.  However, because you are knitting on circular needles and continually going in the same direction, you actually just have to knit stitch through the whole thing!  As Lara wasn't born yet when I finished it, I had to trial it on Amber's (my older daughter) toy sheep.

I like the cuddliness of carrying a newborn in this however I don't think that Melbourne has winters quite cold enough for it to be used as often as I would have liked.  And if I was to make another one I would have made a hole for a seat belt/pram strap to go through.  That's what happens when you try to improvise when you're just a beginner I guess!

Photographed here is Lara fast asleep in the cocoon at just a few weeks old.  So peaceful and so warm.  The room was a little dim so apologies for the dark photo.

1 comment:

  1. Lara is not fussed at all. She looks lovely and content.

    ReplyDelete